NFT art is quickly becoming a popular way for artists to sell, showcase, and receive recognition for their work. However, the cost of certain software required to create NFT art has been a barrier to entry for many artists.
In this article we’ll discuss how to create NFT art without paying for expensive software, and examine the pros and cons of different options available.
Importance of creating NFT art without paying for expensive software
NFT art is a revolutionary step forward in how artwork is created and exchanged globally. For artists, it eliminates the need to purchase expensive software to craft digital works of art.
By utilizing open source software tools such as Blender and GIMP, aspiring digital artists can make their own inspiring creations just as easily and effectively as those with costly illustrations programs ever could.
Not only does this open up new channels for creative expression, but it also allows everyday people to get into the rapidly-growing world of crypto art – regardless of their experience level or financial status.
This democratization of creation stands testimony to the importance of creating NFT art without paying for expensive software; not only making it easier for newcomers, but enhancing the creativity we see today.
Ways to Create NFT Art Without Paying for Expensive Software
1. Online Web Applications
Online web applications are a great option if you want to create NFT art without paying for expensive software. They are easy to use, affordable and accessible from any device with an internet connection.
Moreover, online web applications usually have regular updates and customer support services that can assist users get the most of the software.
Pros and cons of using online web applications
- Easy to use.
- No need to pay for expensive software.
- Accessible from any device with internet connection.
- Often free or very affordable.
- Regular updates with new features and tools.
- Some provide regular customer support services.
- Limited functionality compared to expensive software or desktop applications.
- Generally lower image resolution compared to dedicated software.
Examples of popular online applications for creating NFT art
- Canva: provides a user-friendly interface with lots of customization options, ideal for creating static graphics, social media posts or even animated designs.
- Adobe Spark: offers a complete suite of tools for creating designs for social media or advertising campaigns. It includes pre-designed templates as starting points and features easily expendable options.
- WordPress (Gutenberg): comes with its own native editor that offers simple and flexible layout options. Gutenberg works with the WordPress platform and is ideal for bloggers, designers and photographers.
2. Open-Source Software
Open-source software is software that is free to use, modify, and distribute. The source code for the software is made available to anyone, which allows users to customize and modify the software to meet their specific needs.
Using open-source software often comes with benefits such as cost savings, community support, and wide-spread adoption.
There are several open-source software options that can be beneficial for artists looking to create NFT art. These programs offer a wide array of tools and features for creating digital art, including 3D modeling, animation, image manipulation, and more.
Some of the most popular open-source software options for creating NFT art include Blender, GIMP, Inkscape, and Krita.
Examples of popular open-source software for creating NFT art
- Blender: a program suitable for 3D modeling and animation. Great for creating detailed 3D animations, design models or serializations of digital graphics or sculptures
- GIMP: an image manipulation program similar to Photoshop. It’s ideal for independent artist who prefer to work with image layers, has a wide range of filters, brushes, and retouching tools available to image authors
- Inkscape: a vector graphic application aimed at artistic creation of drawings, logos, map or charts. Easy to learn and having a wide set of features that would inspire any artist
- Krita: a painting program that comes with over 100 brushes and powerful paint engine. Ideal for creating digital artwork with detailed textures and other effects.
Step-by-step guide on how to use open-source software to create an NFT art
Here’s a brief 4-step guide on how to use Blender, a popular open-source 3D modeling software, to create an NFT art piece:
- Download and familiarize yourself with Blender’s interface.
- Create a 3D model using the tools provided. You can start by using any of the available 3D shapes and manipulate the vertices, edges or faces to create unique shapes.
- Use materials to apply textures to the 3D model. You can either use the inbuilt textures or import texture files.
- Once the 3D model and materials are complete, export them and convert them into an NFT tokenized asset file format for use on reputable marketplaces like OpenSea, Rarible, SuperRare, etc.
3. Utilizing Traditional Art Techniques
Traditional art techniques, such as painting or drawing, can be utilized in digital art creation for the purpose of creating NFT art.
Although it may seem like a technological contradiction, traditional media can be digitized into art that is suitable for tokenization and sale on the blockchain.
Traditional art techniques, such as painting or drawing, may seem counterintuitive to digital art creation. However, traditional drawings, paintings or even sculptures, can be digitized and tokenized as NFTs – the same standards that apply to digital art creation.
Examples of traditional art techniques and media that can be utilized in digital art creation include:
- Drawing and painting on paper with pencils, charcoal, ink, paint or watercolors.
- Scanning or photographing artwork and editing out the background so that the art is the prominent focus.
- Turning physical sculpture into a 3D digital model.
How to digitize the traditional art to create NFT art
While creating NFT art from traditional media requires the extra step of digitization, it is still a relatively straightforward process. Here are some steps to follow to digitize traditional art:
- Use a high-quality scanner or camera to capture the image without any glare or shadings.
- Import the scanned image into a graphics editing software such as Adobe or CorelDraw. It is recommended to adjust the image tone or contrast to ensure that it appears precisely as the original, taking into consideration the specific color profiles of the chosen software.
- Convert the file into a tokenized asset file format (JPG, PNG etc.) beforehand to submit it to the blockchain for NFT creation.
4. Free Trials
Many expensive software programs offer free trial versions that can be used to create NFT art. These trials typically last between 7-30 days and offer full access to all features of the software.
Through the use of free trial versions, artists can try out different expensive software for an extended period of time without having to invest in a full license.
Free trial versions provide a great opportunity for artists who want to explore and experiment with expensive software without making a financial commitment.
Examples of expensive software with free trial versions
- Adobe Creative Cloud – Offers 30 days free trial with access to all Unsplash images, Adobe fonts, Adobe Portfolio websites, Adobe Spark Web experiences and much more.
- Autodesk 3D Studio Max – Offers 15 days of full features access so users can experience 3D modeling and animation.
- Corel Painter – Offers 30 days full functionality access so users can explore digital painting styles without any restrictions.
- There is no cost involved in using these types of programs as they are offered on a “try before you buy” basis.
- Great way to become familiar with a new software before taking the plunge and investing financially
- Perfect for exploring different ideas and styles while creating digital artwork
- Limited in functionality as compared to full licenses
- Usually have an expiration date after which the user may not be able to access the program anymore
- Issues related with downloading, installation and activation might occur when downloading from unauthorised websites
5. Collaborating with Other Artists
Collaborating with other artists is a great way to create unique and innovative NFT art.
Through collaborations, artists are able to bring their individual styles and skills together to create something truly amazing – something that one artist may not be able to do on their own.
By working as a team, each artist can bring their own expertise and ideas to the table, allowing them to push the boundaries of creativity while creating new experiences that wouldn’t have been possible otherwise.
Examples of how artists can collaborate to create NFT art
- Cross-disciplinary collaborations – Pairing visual artists with musicians, texture painters with 3D modelers, writers with coders etc.
- Distributed projects – Inviting multiple artists from around the world who specialize in different aspects of digital artwork (painting, animation, sound design etc.) for remote collaboration on larger projects
- Joint ventures – Combining forces between two or more teams or studios focused on different parts of production such as modeling, rigging & animation for bigger productions
Creating NFT art is a complex process that requires knowledge and expertise in many different areas.
From understanding blockchain technology to digital asset management, artists need to be well-versed in all aspects of the production pipeline if they wish to create compelling pieces of artwork for the digital landscape.
Fortunately, there are many resources available such as free software trials, online tutorials and collaborations that can help artists navigate their way through the NFT art creation process.
With careful planning, hard work and dedication, anyone can turn their creative ideas into unique digital assets that will surely be admired by collectors all around the world.
Disclaimer: The information provided in this article is for education purposes only and doesn’t constitute investment advice. So, if you want to invest or trade in any stocks, invest at your own risk. Looktogain.com will not accept liability on loss or damage, which may arise directly or indirectly using such information.